MR EDGAR CHAGWA LUNGU – PRESIDENT FROM 2015 TO 2021
He was born on 11th November, 1956 at Ndola Central Hospital. He was raised in Kitwe’s Chimwemwe Township, Copperbelt Province.
He is the Sixth President of the Republic of Zambia.
He first became President of the Republic of Zambia on 25th January, 2015 after winning the 20th January, 2015 Presidential by-election following the death of 5th Republican Mr Michael Chilufya Sata on 28th October, 2014 in a London hospital.
He was sworn-in as President of the Republic of Zambia on 13th September, 2016.He was re-elected President of the Republic of Zambia in the 11th August, 2016 General elections.
He is the first President in the history of Zambia to have appointed the first female Vice-President in 2015 and nominated her as his running mate in the 11th August, 2016 general elections. This accentuates his passion to promote women to take up decision making positions in various sectors. He has appointed more women to Cabinet positions than any other Zambian President has done in the past.
|Date of Birth:||11th November, 1956|
|Birth Place:||Ndola Central Hospital, Ndola|
|Spouse:||Esther Nyawa Lungu|
|Political Party:||Patriotic Front (PF)|
|Occupation:||Lawyer, President of the Republic of Zambia, Commander-
In-Chief of the Armed Forces
|Primary School:||Ishuko Primary School, Kitwe|
|High School:||Mukuba Secondary School, Kitwe|
|Higher Education:||University of Zambia, (1978-1981)|
|Academic Qualification:||Bachelor’s Degree in Law|
|Law Practice Institute:||1982|
He was elected as Member of Parliament for Chawama Constituency in Lusaka in 2011 under the Patriotic Front Ticket.
PAST GOVERNMENT MINISTERIAL POSITIONS
- Deputy Minister in the Office of the Vice-President.
- Minister of Home Affairs.
- Minister of Defence.
- Minister of Justice.
PATRIOTIC FRONT PRESENT AND PAST POSITIONS
- President of the Patriotic Front.
- Secretary General of the Patriotic Front (Former).
- President of All African Parties Group.
- Chairman of the PF Disciplinary Committee.
- Member of Parliament for Chawama constituency (Former).
CONTINENTAL AND REGIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- African Champion on ending child marriages on the African Continent.
- SADC ORGAN Troika Chairman on Politics, Defence and Security Cooperation.
- Member of the African Union Peace and Security Council.
Follow us Facebook, Twitter, Email